Thursday, September 08, 2011

One Day at a Time

I just ran across a poem that my Dad wrote for me almost 20 years ago. I was a brand new mother. My baby was just 10 girl weeks old when my husband walked out on me. I was financially strapped, emotionally bankrupt, and terrified of the future. I try not to think of those days too often. The memories are just too painful. Sometimes, though, it is good to look back on those times and remember that yes, I made it through those hard times. I've made it through hard times since. Surely I can do again. . . one day at a time.

I do not need to see beyond the mountain
That lies ahead, too high for me to climb;
I put my trust in God who made that mountain,
And live my life just one day at a time.

The years are long; the future is uncertain;
The nights are dark; they last a long, long time;
But days are bright; my God flings wide the curtain,
And fills my life just one day at a time.

I do not fear the troubles of tomorrow;
I do not run from problems that are mine,
Because my faith is greater than my sorrow,
And I can live just one day at a time.

I thank my God who gives me strength for living;
Who fills my soul with love and peace sublime;
I thank my Jesus for His grace in giving
To me the strength for one day at a time.

4 comments:

revsongbird said...

Amen.

jo(e) 's page said...

Beautiful.

Angie Mizzell said...

This is great... I'm off to share it with a friend who needs to hear it.

jrculpepper said...

Please do, Angie. Hope it helps your friend as much as it has helped me.